What came out of our 21 days of seeking God? Did God say anything to you about your 2019? Did He say anything to our leadership team about 2019? – Yes, he did.
- We should expect 2019 to be better than 2018
- Two of our Focuses or Themes for 2019 are: Outreach & Community.
- There is a building project that has started and we’re going to continue with in 2019 and that is: Building Big People.
Ephesians 6:10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
Ephesians 4:12 Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ.
- Forgiveness, Love and Grace.
- Worship – Matthew 22:37 First thing new believers need
- Word – Renew your minds 2 Timothy 3:16
- Faith & Prayer – It’s our connection to God and his power.
- Giving & Serving – 1 Peter 4:10
- Ministering especially to people using the gifts
Two specific activities that I believe will help every person to grow spiritually. They are getting involved with:
- Rows are faithful church attendance – Hebrews 10:25 I’ve never known anyone who grew spiritually who didn’t regularly attend church. You need to be part of a row.
- Circles -Something that is probably equally important for your spiritual growth is that you also need to be part of a circle. What’s a circle you ask? A circle is a small group.
Why are circles so important? There are many reasons but here are four.
- They foster interaction and conversation both of which are essential to authentic community.
- They make people more important. You’re 1/10 not 1/500. We have backwards thinking sometimes. Food and Water are both essential.
- They allow people to get involved. People have something you need and you have something people need.
- They promote relationships which can be the difference between success and failure.
Reasons why not to get involved:
- It’s too far away: 80% of you live 15 minutes or less from a small group. You probably travel further to see a movie.
- They don’t seem organic – Intentional isn’t the enemy of authentic. Sometimes we need facilitation. It helps! Dating Apps, Exercise Apps, Bible Reading Apps, etc.
- I don’t want to sit around and discuss my feelings with strangers: Neither do I.
- I went to a small group once and there was no one like me. Which probably isn’t true; people just chose to see the differences but what we have in common is more important than our differences.
In fact, you need relationships with people different from you. Which is why we’re emphasizing geographic not demographics for our small groups. These Encounter Groups are for everyone. As you leave today, we’re going give you a list of the Encounter Groups starting February 17th and I want you to seriously consider getting involved.